Post Your Own Work

 New Fan Works  Old Fan Works  Zelda Series  Multimedia  Features  Interactive  Site Info
[Reviews - 1139] Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Dawn

by: Atchika

She hated the rain, but the air was always thick and salty before it came and she loved the smell. Most everyone was still asleep and she'd snuck out of bed to watch the sunrise. As she crouched behind one of the barrels on deck she held her breath as the night watch came by her. Once past she hurried forward until she found herself at the base of the forbidden ladder; clutching her blanket, she looked up. She took a deep breath and crept carefully up. At the top she stuck her head cautiously into to nest and looked around and breathed a sigh of relief seeing that it was vacant except for a few seagulls. She threw her blanket into the space and climbed the rest of the way up. Just in time she thought and picked the blanket up and threw it around her shoulders. She watched the moon sink into the sea and looked up at the stars so bright in the darkest part of the night.

She turned to look east and though she was finally tall enough to see over the edge without standing on her toes, she did anyway. A brisk wind started up and she threw her arms wide to catch all the salty air she could. She startled the few gulls and they flew off squawking loudly. She giggled as she peered over the edge and watched them land on the deck below only to be chased off by the night watch. She rested her chin on the edge and smiled to herself as the first rays of sunshine peaked up over the horizon. As the dawn brighten the morning sky she closed her eyes, she must have dozed off for a minute because when she opened her eyes again the sun was a little further up in the sky. She was in for it now she thought. She had planned to be back in bed before now.

Looking out over the water she saw the little island and wondered why she didn't remember this one. She looked at it through her telescope, and figured out that there was not much to see. Some fishing boats, no people around that she could see. She looked from one house to another and her view finally settled on the last house on the beach. The door opened and a small girl ran to the steps almost losing her balance. She smiled and watched as the girl turned back and dragged a reluctant boy, probably her brother, out the door and down the steps. He pointed to the beach and his sister dutifully went where directed. Her attention was pulled away by the sounds of the crew below her. Morning shift was up and pretty soon they would be looking for her. Not that it ever took them long to figure out where she'd gone. Carefully looking down she spotted the Captain who happened to look up at the same moment. She ducked away form the edge, but knew it was probably too late. She'd been spotted and the sound of someone coming up the ladder confirmed it.

"Tetra could you please come down from there," said the familiar voice from below her, "I know you like the view little miss but your still too young to be up here alone."

She edged over to the ladder and said in a determined voice "But, there's a storm coming, I want to watch it."

"Not from here," the voice was getting closer "I'm afraid it's just a little too dangerous."

"I'm not scared." she muttered to herself

"Well, then it's a good thing you're not the captain and I am," and her Mother's head popped up through the small opening in the floor. "Honestly child one of these days your antics are going to land you in trouble."

"Please, can't I stay a little longer?"

"We really need to get underway. " She said as she pulled herself up. The Captain sighed when she noticed Tetra's forlorn expression. "Okay, just a few minutes."

"Yay!" she jumped a little.

"What were you looking at up here anyway?"

"I wanted to see the sun come up." Tetra covered her mouth too late, now she was in trouble sneaking out as well as being up here.

The Captain looked at her sternly, "So you thought you'd sneak out of your cabin in the middle of the night and climb to the one place on this ship you've been told you're not supposed to be by yourself?"

"Ummm.. "

"You know that's a punishable offense little miss."

"Yes."

"As future captain what punishment do you think is in order?"

"Galley duty?"

"For a week." Tetra groaned. She opened her mouth to voice a protest but stopped when the Captain raised and eyebrow and said, "Want to try for two?"

She shut her mouth and shook her head.

"Good."

After a moment of silence Tetra looked back at the little island. "Captain?" she asked pointing, "What's the name of that island over there?"

"Outset."

"How come we've never been here before?"

"We have, but you were much smaller then."

"Oh."

"Come on its time to go and eat breakfast, Nudge is making your favorite."

Her eyes lit up "Really?"

"Yes really."

Tetra stopped as a horrible thought came to her, "But then that means. "

"Yes," said the Captain nodding "Lots of sticky pots."

What's for breakfast? I have no idea and have no plans on finding out, so insert your favorite breakfast food here and any disclaimers you may find lying around.


Enter the security code shown below:
 Sections
The "Post Your Own Work" section is powered by eFiction. To get it for your site, go to www.efiction.org.