Post Your Own Work

 New Fan Works  Old Fan Works  Zelda Series  Multimedia  Features  Interactive  Site Info
[Reviews - 111] Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Chapter Three

During the next day, Zelda was having another meeting with the council members. They had something to talk about, something that took place yesterday. She wouldn’t be surprised if they were here to talk about the little incident that happened.
“Princess Zelda. We are here to discuss the issue on Link,” Ason started. The princess put on a serious face. Ha, she had thought right all along. Perhaps they brought this matter up simply to put their minds off other things.
“I understand, but I find nothing to discuss about. We are currently looking for a cure at the moment,” she said but the members grumbled amongst themselves.
“He is a hazard to the people’s safety,” Ason said. “We were all here yesterday when Link barged in and clearly exhibited signs of uncontrolled rage. We can’t have such an individual mingling in our community.”
“Let me remind you Link is entitled to the same laws. If he were born a cursed being then it doesn’t cover him,” Zelda argued.
“You’re missing the point my highness. He has killed so many people and all you did was imprison him. Regardless of who he was before, he must be punished and that’s a death sentence,” Ason argued back. Zelda bit her bottom lip.
“But yesterday. We all agreed that if he refrained from killing for a month he was fit to go unpunished,” she reminded them.
“That’s true, however we all witnessed the brutality on your advisor. What if that had been his neck Link had broken? If Xanath had not intervened the boy would have killed the guy,” the man expounded. “I recall a while back, he had injured that girl and killed her grandmother, let alone numerous people. He has a taste for Hylian flesh, and you know as well as I do he craves for it. He’s a miserable being.”
“He’s not!” Zelda shouted. She hadn’t been aware she had risen. “He made a pact and he has been going by his word. Blood hasn’t touched his lips since.” For a while the members thought over and over, trying to see if there was an alternative. There didn’t seem to be any at the moment.
“I’m afraid there isn’t a way round this. The vote has been seconded. Link will be executed tomorrow evening,” Ason said quietly. Zelda shook her head angrily, her eyes narrowed.
“How can you turn on him like that?!” she shouted, totally outraged. “You’re all heartless cunts! He has saved you so many times, risked his life to save the land. Just because he’s cursed now doesn’t mean he’ll remain that way.” Ason turned away and stared at his hands.
“Sorry. But the law is law. We can’t go against it,” he muttered.

* * *

Zelda walked out of the hall, cursing under her breath. Those old farts were too set in their ways. Why couldn’t they, for once, put aside their duties and look into their hearts? The law was seriously flawed in some areas where it needed concerning.
“Hey wait,” Xanath grabbed her elbow as she walked by him.
“Leave me alone!” she groaned, struggling, but her efforts were futile. She let her hair fall over her face.
“They want to kill him. Those bastards want to kill him!” she bellowed and broke into a sob. “I don’t want him to die…this isn’t right. With all he’s gone through, this is no way to help.” Xanath withdrew, visibly astonished.
“Isn’t there a way to veto the votes?” he queried but found the princess shaking her head.
“What good would that do? Those people will hunt Link down like a dog and take matters into their own hands. Or they’ll rebel because their needs weren’t met…” she sobbed and hit her fist against the wall. “Why?! Why are they so heartless? Damn them!”
“You tried at least,” Link said, appearing from around the corner. Zelda wiped a tear and sniffed, still crying.
“You were listening in the whole time?” she asked and he nodded once. “I’m so sorry. I tried so hard to let them favour my plea. They’re so up themselves.”
“C’mon. Let’s go in to the parlour. I don’t want them to hear what you think about them,” Xanath suggested.

* * *

Zelda and Xanath were alone in the parlour. Link had since gone out. He found the castle too oppressing, and he preferred to be outside, away from the hassles.
“Xanath, I just don’t know what to do. I always regarded the situation to have a brighter future, but now I’m starting to have my doubts. What if there is no cure, what if there is no other solution? Can I really bring myself to realise that the only alternative left is death?” Zelda sulked. The man let out a long sigh and ran a hand through his grizzled hair.
“Maybe the people see things that we are blinded to. It is expected to support a friend, even if they are in the wrong. But it is obvious that Link’s death is inevitable and—” A great multitude of guards came running into the parlour, breathing heavily from exhaustion.
“My highness, there’s a messenger who wants to have a word with you. He claims it is urgent,” one said.
“A visitor at this time?” Zelda grumbled. She had a lot on her mind and really didn’t want any other thing adding to the whirling emotions and thoughts. “Very well, allow him in.” The guards standing by the door parted to the sides, and the stranger walked into their presence. He was garbed in a cloak, and a veil concealed his face. When he approached the princess he handed a note. Zelda read it, and as she did, her eyes began to widen in shock.
“Goddesses, this can’t be. Tell me this is some sick trick you’re pulling!” Zelda shouted at the messenger. The man just chuckled.
“What is it?” Xanath asked when he saw the princess’ face turn white. She slowly turned to him, swallowing her fear. The letter was trembling in her hands.
“A war is upon us…”


Enter the security code shown below:
 Sections
The "Post Your Own Work" section is powered by eFiction. To get it for your site, go to www.efiction.org.