Post Your Own Work

 New Fan Works  Old Fan Works  Zelda Series  Multimedia  Features  Interactive  Site Info
[Reviews - 41] Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

     The sun peeked up over the trees of Lake Hylia, creating a fog over the water. The soft chirping of birds could be heard over the trickling of water. Sunlight managed to break through the fog, beaming onto Links face. His eyes slowly opened, sensitive to the light, after a long slumber. He gently kicked the blankets to the floor, and rolled himself upright. He rubbed his eyes, trying to get them to focus and yawned.
     "Man, what time is it?" He asked himself.
     He stood from his bed and walked to the cedar chest in the corner of the room. He opened it, retreving his clothes: A loose fitting, tan, longsleeved shirt with blue trim, and baggy green pants. He put them on and walked to the stand near his bed, grabbing a brush for his hair. His hair was now long, down between his shoulder blades. He brushed his hair gently, trying not to hurt his scalp, but ended up hurting himself anyway. 
     "Ouch! I guess I should cut it. Living out here has really kept me from doing it."
     He put down the brush and walked to a nearby mirror and looked at himself. He had a thick five o'clock shadow around his mouth and jawline.
     "Guess I should cut this too," he said whil rubbing his face.
     He walked away from the mirror and went to the nearby window, crossed his arms and put his weight on the window seal, leaning against his forearms.
     "I'm glad I moved out here," he said after taking in a deep breath.
     He crossed his arms and rested on the window seal, resting his body weight on his arms. He heard footsteps stomping on the grass coming from the far side of the house. The foosteps made their way to the wood of his porch and stopped.
     Knock, knock, knock!
     "Link!" A voiced shouted.
     "On second thought, maybe I should move again," he said under his breath, "Coming!"
     Link walked to his door and opened it. There stood a man about the same height as Link, but was smaller in physique. He was dressed up in Castle Town clothes and looked like he was going out.
     "Jed, what is it?" Link asked the man.
     "Well... I was going to the castle, and I was hoping... That... Maybe... I dunno..." he rambled.
     "Do you need me to take you?"
     "... Yeah..."
     "What happend to your horse?"
     "I didnt hitch it last night, so it's gone..."
     Link stared at the man blankly.
     "How the hell did you forget that?" he asked laughing.
     "I don't know... You know me: I'm clumsy... Link, please, I've been working on a project... An invention... It could change the world, Link..."
     Link observed Jed. He was nervously fidgeting his hands, waiting for a response.
     "Please, Link... Do me this one favor. It could change our lives. I'm begging you," Jed pleaded.
     "You realize that this is..." Link trailed off in thought, "the tenth 'one favor' in the last three weeks, right?"
      Jed nodded his head nervously in agreement. After a breif pause, reflecting in his thoughts, Link agreed.
     "You're lucky that I need to go to the castle's market, Jed. Just give me a few minutes to get ready."
     "Thank you, Link! Thank you! You wont regret this! I'll run to my house and retrieve my belongings!"
     As Jed ran off, Link walked out onto his porch and took a deep breath. He looked to his left and saw his horse at its hitch, waiting on their next trip. He slowly walked over to her, and rubbed her snout.
     "How ya doin' girl? You want to go to the Castle?"
     The horse exhaled in response and shook its head in disapproval.
     "Its Jed isn't it?"
     She looked at the ground.
     "He isn't that bad. He just isn't used to living out here yet. He's from Castle Town. He isn't used to it like we are."
     Link patted her gently and walked to the shed he had built behind his house. He opened the doors to reveal a carriage made from fine oak that was bordered with bright stainless steel. He picked up the mount, and rolled it to the horse, connecting it to the carriage. Link heard a door slam from afar, and looked in the direction of the noise. He saw Jed walking with a lean with a big duffle bag that seemed to be heavy. Jed brought the bag near the carriage and set them on the ground.
     "I thought when you said you were getting ready, you meant changing into more, uh, presentable, clothes," Jed said.
     Link turned and gave Jed a menacing look.
     "And what exactly is wrong with what I'm wearing, Jed?"
     "Well, I'm going to see the Princess..."
     "Don't worry about it. I don't plan on going too far to the main castle. I want to be comfortable. I'm not worried about what I'm wearing because, frankly, I don't care, Jed."
     "Well, I just don't want the princess to see you and think lowly of you and I and not want to see me."
     "No, you just don't want her to think lowly of you. I'm not the one who needs her company. Besides, I don't think it'll matter what I'm wearing even if she does see me. I'm sure you'll still see her."
     "Well, if you say so, Link."
     Link finished setting the carriage to the horse and put his hands on his hips.
     "Is it set up?"
     "Yeah, Jed. You got everything you need?"
     "Yep. Can I put my bag in the back?"
     "Sure."
     Jed grabbed the bag and tried to lift it in the back of the carriage, but it was too heavy and the carriage too high. Link saw Jed struggling, so he gave him a hand, and they both laid it in the back.
     "What do you have in there? Bricks?"
     "No, haha."
     "Well, let's get going."
     The two climbed on to the driver's mount, and began their journey.




     As the two made their jourey, Jed sat quietly, twiddling his thumbs, mumbling to himself. Link could tell that he was nervous, so he thought that conversation would help ease his nerves.
     "So, what exactly have you made?" Link asked.
     Jed jumped, surprised Link acknowledged his companionship.
     "Oh, well, it's a little complicated to explain..."
     "Well we got plenty of time."
     Jed, looked away, debating on if he should even tell Link.
     "Ok, I'll tell you, but until I see the princess, you CANNOT tell anyone. Got it?"
     "Yeah... Who am I gonna tell, Jed? It's just me and you out here."
     "I meant when we get to the market." 
     "Who do I know out there?" Link said laughing.
      Jed gave thought to Link's statement and laughed with him, realizing that Jed had only ever seen Link talk to him and the Zoras that came to the Lake.
     "Ok. Well, I was thinking that hand to hand combat and archery were not an efficent way to defeat an enemy. So I began to think of what else one could use in battle. Most swords can't cut through a steel chestplate and arrows can't puncture through some either. But what if, you took an arrow, took the tip, melted it down into a ball of lead?"
     "But it would be too heavy to shoot, wouldn't it? And how would a ball of lead even puncture skin?"
     "Ah, but that's where this mechanism comes in."
     Jed reached in the back of the carriage and opened his back, revealing a long object, made from wood and iron. 
     "This is what I call, a mini cannon."
     "A mini cannon?"
     "Yes. You've seen how cannons work right?"
     "Yeah."
     "Well, all I've done, is taken a cannon, and made it smaller, and mobile. This thing fires the ball of lead using explosive powders, and can shoot the ball farther and more accurate than an arrow."
     "Wow, Jed. I'm impressed. How many have you made?"
     Jed look away, embarrassed. He turned back at Link.
     "Well, this one... still isn't really firing properly... So not even one... I need better resources to finish it. The wood and iron aren't as stable as I'd like..."
     Link looked at Jed, almost disgusted.
     "So you're going to beg the castle to give you money for resources?"
     "Oh, no, no, no. I'm going to beg them to let me stay there and finish this with the resources they provide. If they provide the resources, I would finish this in no time."
     "I don't know, Jed. It seems pretty far fetched to begin with. I mean, a mini cannon? Even you said it doesn't really work."
     "No, I said it doesn't work because the materials I used aren't satisfactory. If I had better material, it would work like a charm."
     Link turned, and sighed.
     "Ok, Jed. Well, good luck."
     "Thank you."
     After a few more minutes of riding, they began up a hill. Link tried to peek up over the horizon to catch a glimpse of the castle, but he could not see over the land. As they progressed up the hill, the top of the castle came into view.
     "We're getting close," Link said.
     "Oh good..." Jed stated, nervously.
     Link turned and put his hand on Jed's shoulder.
     "You'll be fine. The worst thing that can happen is that they say no."
     "Heh... I guess you're right... But I need this to work..."
     They arrived at the drawbridge to Castle Town and Link stopped the carriage. Jed turned and looked around, confused at what Link was doing.
     "Uh, what are you doing?" Jed asked.
     "Hitching up here. I dont want to take Epona into the Castle Market... She gets a little nervous around too many people. We have to walk from here."
     "So I have to carry that heavy ass rifle all the way to the castle?"
     "If you get tired, I'll carry it for you."
     Link hitched Epona and the two men began walking into the market. Jed was a few steps behind Link because of the weight of the rifle. Link looked behind him and stopped, letting Jed catch up. 
     "Just let me carry it," Link said, extending his hand.
     Jed looked at Link, and reajusted the strap of the bag around his neck.
     "No, I'm fine. I can carry it," Jed replied.
     "Whatever," Link said while turning around.
     As they began to walk further into the market, they noticed more guards than usual were patrolling the city. Jed hunched over fearful.
     "Something's up..." Link said.
     "Yes, you're right... Guards don't usually patrol in large numbers like this." Jed replied.
     The two cautiously walked to the center of town to notice that the gates to the castle were closed. Jed fell to his knees in sorrow.
     "I brought this heavy ass piece of garbage all the way here, just for the princess to be gone? Just my luck," Jed stated sobbingly.
     "Hey, it's okay. Things happen for a reason. If you want, I'll bring you back next week. Would you like that?" Link asked caringly.
     Jed shook his head slowly in agreement, almost childlike. Link helped Jed back to his feet, and turned his head, looking to the drawbridge. He noticed a carriage, surrounded by guards making its way into the city. As it passed, the pedestrians of the market bowed to one knee. As it made its way closer to them, Jed noticed that it was made of maple, bordered in gold, with the Hylian crest on both sides. He immediately fell to one knee, bowing. Link stayed standing.
     "Get down, Link!" Jed exclaimed.
      Link shrugged Jed hand off his pants and broke free from his grip. The carriage came closer to them, slowing to a stop in front of Link. Jed tried one last time to get Link down, but the result was the same.
     "Get off, Jed!"
     "Please, Link, get down!"
     The carriage driver climbed down, and slowly made his way to the door. He opened it gently, and as he did so, guards lined both sides of the door, making a tunnel towards Link.
     A being began to exit the carriage and was dressed in the Royal Family crest. Her hair was dirty blonde and had two small braids going down to her shoulders with the rest down her back and a tiara covering her bangs. She had big, blue, round eyes; skin soft as silk; and pink lips. She stepped down from the buggy and looked at Link, puzzled.
     "Link?" She asked.
     Link remained quiet.
     She stepped closer and examined him from head to toe.
     "It's been so long..." She told him.
     He looked away from her.
     "Well, what do you expect. I was an innocent man charged with treason. Do you think I'd come back to the Castle after that?" He replied.
     "Link... The court found you not guilty... You were innocent..."
     "Yes , the court let me go. But that isn't what hurts. A court finding an innocent made not guilty is actually what makes it sting less. What hurts, is that everyone believed the Royal Family when they said I was guilty. Even you. That's why I left. That's why I've been dead to everyone for nearly ten years... Innocent people were going to die if I didn't stop the Hylian Army. Odan was possessed. He wanted control. He was going to start with Aquas and make his way around until he could mass an army big enough to dominate Hyrule. But of course no one wanted to stop him. No one could see past his ruse, snd if people think that stopping him was wrong, and killing miillions of innocent people was the right thing to do, just because he wanted it done, then this country is will die from being blind, and I want no part of this place."
     Zelda looked down at her feet. A single tear began to roll down her cheek. She put her head in Link's chest, and began sobbing uncontrollably.
     "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry... I didn't know... We didn't know."
     "Well, when you all wake up and aren't blind, that's when I'll forgive you..."
     Link turned and began walking out of Castle Town.
     "Link, wait" She said, her voice still quivering.
     Link stopped.
     Zelda sniffled, and raised her head, looking at Link.
     "Don't go... I miss you... I don't want you to leave for another decade..."
     Link sighed and turned around.
     "I don't want to be here... It burns me to be here. I'm leaving, but Jed is here to speak to you. Spend your time with him, not me."
     "Please..." She trailed.
     Link paused in thought and remained silent.
     "No... I'm sorry."
     Link turned and began walking to Epona. Zelda began running after him. She grabbed his shoulder and turned him around, embracing him tightly.
     "If you're gone for another ten years, I want to tell you what I didn't get to when you left the first time: I'm sorry, Link... I'm sorry..."
     Link took in a deep breath and wrapped his arms around her, giving her a slight squeeze.
     "I love you..." She spoke silently.
     Link kissed her on her cheek and let go. Zelda remained wrapped around his torso, not letting go. She look up and kissed him on his lips, taking Link by surprise. 
     "I'm begging you..." She pleaded.
     Link looked in her eyes, swollen in saddness.
     "Zelda... I forgive you... But not this land or it's people... And... I love you too..."
     He wrapped his arms around her once more, Zelda crying even heavier now that Link has come back into her life. They both kissed one last time before letting each other go, and walked back to her carriage. Jed looked at Zelda quickly, then back to the ground.
     "Now, Jed. What is it that you needed?" She asked him, still sniffling.
     "Oh, uh, may I speak with you in the castle?" He replied.
     "Yes. Anything for a consultant of the Royal Family.
     An attendant opened the doors of the carriage for the party. Jed grabbed one of his bags, with Link grabbing the other one. They all stepped in and shut the doors. Link sat across from Jed and his bags with Zelda sitting next to Link, clutching his hand tightly, making sure he wasn't going anywhere. Link squeezed her hand in a reciprocating manner and looked out the window, toward the Castle, and began to feel a pit form in his stomach that soon faded.
     'Guess it had to happen some day,' he thought to himself.
     

    



Enter the security code shown below:
 Sections
The "Post Your Own Work" section is powered by eFiction. To get it for your site, go to www.efiction.org.