Guardian by Devoid
Summary:

A Suitor Arrives and Link begins to Feel a Deep Dread Torwards Him.

Based on Alexandra Spears' Story "Protector"


Categories: Fan Fiction Characters: Link, Zelda
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 2059 Read: 46758 Published: Apr 17, 2012 Updated: Apr 17, 2012
Chapter 2: the Suitor by Devoid

             The golden carriage arrived at roughly 1:00, at least that’s what the guard told them, seeing as they were all in the throne room waiting for the “suitor” to arrive and couldn’t personally tell. They were patiently waiting for him. Link was sitting on the king’s left side, while Zelda was sitting on his right. 

Several unrecognized guards filed into the room, all in matching uniforms, in a V formation. The first guard stepped forward. He unraveled a medium-sized scroll, of which he pull from his side like a sword, and spoke.

 

“His Majesty, Tarn, Prince of the kingdom of Oun, resides,” he proclaimed then moved back into his original position.

 

“Not even Zelda’s father demands this much attention,” Link thought, making a crooked smile cross his face.

 

 Then the guards slowly split to reveal a boy. The first features noticeable were his dark brown hair and, as he looked to them, his green eyes. He seemed about the same age as Zelda or Link.

             He was wearing a strange white robe. Gold design ran along it, but the strangest part was that the sleeves were non-existent. 

             The boy quickly knelt before all three of them, and the King stood from his throne and spoke, “Welcome, Prince Tarn, to Hyrule.” Tarn looked up and saw Zelda standing next to her father; he apparently hadn’t taken notice of Link yet. 

             Zelda solemnly strode over to Tarn, immediately feeling the tension of the moment.

             “Hello, Tarn of Oun, pleasure to meet you,” Zelda greeted him, giving him as slight bow. “Of what I’ve seen of Hyrule thus far; it is a beautiful country. But, none of it is more beautiful than you, Princess,” Tarn responded while kissing the back of her gloved hand, between the two inner knuckles. 

“Oh brother,” Link thought to himself. The sappy speech, along with the situation, felt sickening to him.

 

The King stood and began to walk over to where Zelda and Tarn were standing. Link followed.

             “I see you two are getting along quite well,” the King believed, “so to commemorate your bond, and Hyrule opening relations with Oun, we shall throw a ball tonight in largest ballroom.” 

             Link silently stepped out from behind the King. Tarn seemed startled by Link's sudden appearance, much to Link’s pleasure. “I’m sorry to ask, but just who are you?” Tarn asked, staring at Link awkwardly. 

             “I am Link, Princess Zelda’s personal bodyguard, so you should expect to see me just as often as you see her, if not more,” Link responded with a blank expression on his face, and he then grabbed the hilt of his sword, which was hooked at his waist. Tarn’s eyes grew wide at, what Link could only guess a slight shock. 

              Link felt something strange about this boy, some odd inclination that told him that they should all keep away from this boy; some inner sense that he was bad news for all of them. However, he shrugged it off and just stared at Tarn, intimidating him. 

              “Alright,” Tarn responded, his gaze returning to the rest of the group. The King inconspicuously nodded and a Hyrule castle guard stepped out from the line behind Tarn. “We have a room prepared for you, your highness,” The guard told Tarn then turned and gestured Tarn to follow him. 

              Tarn quickly turned to Zelda. “I will see you at the ball,” Tarn said, kissing her hand again and then bowing out of the room. Tarn’s royal guards formally left the room, following him. 

              The king, Zelda, and Link kept their eyes on the now empty doorway. 

              The King suddenly exploded with rumbling laughter, much to both Link and Zelda’s surprise. “You scared the royalty out of him, Link,” the King erupted, bits of the sentence breaking with his laughter. 

              Link smiled. “You think so, your highness?” Link inquired as tears came to the king’s eyes. 

              The King slowly calmed his bellowing and said, “No doubt, my boy, keep up the good work,” he told him as he patted Link on the back. Zelda suddenly jumped out in front of both of them with a furious expression on her face. 

“You two are so mean!” She yelled, beginning half-laugh herself, “I really like this guy, so could you calm the threatening down a little?”

             “As you wish, Princess,” Link told her, calming himself down and stepping a little closer to her, “But as your bodyguard, I still have to watch out for you,” Link assured her. 

“I can live with that,” She responded as she quickly turned and ran away to her bedroom.

           “Go on back home, Link,” The king told him, returning to his throne, “Go, and get prepared for the ball tonight.” 

“Yes, your highness,” Link understood as he, too, turned to run through the doorway.

            “Ah…that was funny,” The King said to himself, finally calmed down from the whole affair.

This story archived at http://www.kasuto.net/efiction/viewstory.php?sid=2788