Post Your Own Work

 New Fan Works  Old Fan Works  Zelda Series  Multimedia  Features  Interactive  Site Info
[Reviews - 30] Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
A long, long time ago, at least 3 Gerudo Kings' reigns before Ganon popped up in Gerudo Valley, the Gerudo women were a peaceful group. They didn't steal or have nasty attitudes, but still kept mostly to themselves. In fact, the Gerudo took over the role that the Sheikah once had, and even then, not to such a drastic extent. The ancient Sheikah were cruel, ruthless people and used their psychic abilities, which far surpassed even that of the Hylians', to cause chaos and destruction throughout the land for decades. These Sheikah could not be stopped. These were the Dark Ages of Hyrule, and there are few written records of events that may or may not have happened -- even the Book of Mudora is not completely accurate -- and history has been recorded by word of mouth: accounts of war, folklore and tales of powerful magic. Unfortunately, yet also a blessing in disguise, the Sheikahs' power grew too strong for them to control, even psychically, causing their numbers to rapidly fall to the small numbers they hold today. The time where the Sheikah had control of Hyrule became known as the Great Tribulation, since the offending race held the others fearful, using only the power of the mind. When the Sheikah population decreased and the Gerudo took their place as Hyrulian bullies, it was simply known as the Transference. Although no one can tell, or will ever be able to tell, what is truth and what is fiction, it has been very well documented that the Transference did occur. During the time between the Great Tribulation and the Transference, a Sheikah girl was born in a field adjacent to the shore, surrounded by briars and lilies. She was named Briarleigh -- after the field -- Leelee, or more commonly Lily, for short, since most people called her that anyway.

Lily grew up in the time of the Transference. She and her family were outcasts in Hyrule, of course, since they were Sheikah. They were run out of town one night when Lily was no more than 3 years old, and their house was burned down after them. Lily's parents were killed a few days later, and, thinking she wouldn't survive on her own, the vultures left her to die.

***


The vultures left him to die.

The next day, Link decided he needed some fresh air. Actually, what he really needed was a break from all the jokes. There was constant humiliation. After taking a shower and stumbling his way out of the bathroom that morning, still half asleep, he found a pink bobble hat hanging on the doorknob of the door to his room. Furious, he nearly dropped the towel from around his waist. He took the hat with him and tossed it across the room. He sat on his bed and imagined the worst-case scenario... yelling for a moment about the hat, and throwing his arms up in the air in anger... then the towel would fall, and all he'd have to keep himself decent was that accursed pink hat. Of course, by some strange stroke of luck, the rest of the Knights would all stick their heads out and into the hallway to see Link with his hat. Dinner would be even worse than last night... Thankfully, this was not the case. Link pushed his hair, now brown from the water, out of his face and proceeded to get dressed.

Once out in the Castle Town, he was immediately recognized as Link, the Hero of Time, or to the ladies, the Most Eligible Bachelor in Hyrule. It wasn't before long that he was pushing his way through people, when he was just trying to get to the other side of town to get a bit of roast cucco (because for some reason, it was better outside than in the castle) and then on to the valley for a bit of riding and archery.

"Hi Link! Could you sign my boot?"

A boot? Well, at least you're one up from the kid who asked me to sign a napkin the other day...

"Link, I love you!"

I bet...

"Me too! I want to have your baby!"

Yikes!!

"Sir Link, it's an honor to meet you!"

Don't these people have lives? I wanna get something to eat, dammit...

"Sorry," he said, facing his crowd of admirers. "I don't have time to sign anything today. Maybe another time."

A collective "awwww" of disappointment rose from the masses, but the crowd failed to disperse. They hung around for just a bit more, hiding behind crates and buildings, their grasp on the concept of stealth not a very good one. Before long, they realized he was serious -- no autographs -- and the crowd diffused, however, it spread out slower than molasses. Link sighed. He turned back around to see if they had truly gone and caught one straggler at a wall... her skirts tattled on her.

***


Her skirts tattled on her.

"Hey! You! Come back here with that!"

Lily ran as fast as her feet could carry her, through small groups of other people, over logs and under barriers. In her hands was precious contraband, a small head of lettuce. Since the Transference, Lily was living day to day, on her own, in dire poverty. She'd earn a few Rupees here and there from magic tricks she'd perform, thanks to her psychic abilities, but it was nothing near what she'd need to support herself. Most people just gave her dirty looks, instead of money, besides. She didn't have any family, and there weren't many Sheikah left to turn to, since they were almost wiped out at the end of the Tribulation. The previous owner of the lettuce noticed the soft "whoosh" of a skirt, and looked down in time to see the girl swipe the goods. He gave chase, but Lily was so thin and light, she outran him easily. She found a corner where she wouldn't be disturbed and greedily devoured what would be her only meal for a while. Each leaf was quickly torn through, chewed and swallowed. Each leaf made Lily want more, and so, it was eaten faster than the last. Soon, there was no more lettuce, and though her belly was relatively full, there was still an emptiness inside Lily that could not be appeased. It was a mental need, one that Lily knew too well. In the past, her only way of dealing with this... something... was to distract herself, and she'd distract herself with performing some "magic" tricks.

Of course, it wasn't magic to her; it wasn't that special. Her Sheikah blood gave her access to strong psychic abilities, more than the telepathy and occasional clairvoyance that some Hylians possessed. Hers included telekinesis, astral projection, and a special brand of teleportation that would create a dummy image of herself the moment she disappeared, and when Lily reappeared ten to twenty seconds later, the image would slowly vanish, and Lily would tap her unsuspecting victim on his shoulder, from behind. Sometimes, this would scare the person half to death, at which point, the rest of the crowd that gathered would suddenly notice the Shadow girl scaring them, and throw their purchases at her. Lily would run for cover with an angry mob on her heels, out Rupees, out food, out sympathy.

Fortunately, this was not one of those times. She started teleporting around the square, just to get the attention of some shoppers. When she felt she had a sufficient crowd, she put on her little show, knocking off each trick with expert precision. When she came to the end, teleporting three times in rapid succession so that there were four images, she used her telekinetic powers to move the images. She performed a simple dance herself, so the images followed, but it included mixing up all four Lilys. When she was satisfied, Lily made someone guess which one of her images were real, after which she snapped down a Deku nut and the other three Lilys vanished. There were cheers and applause for Lily, as some onlookers gave her a few Rupees. She smiled gratefully.

***


She smiled gratefully.

He looked around to see no one was particularly watching him anymore, not even the roast cucco vendor just a few yards away. He quickly scribbled his name on a crinkled piece of paper, then playfully mussed up the little girl's hair; she couldn't have been more than eight. She skipped away happily, letting the paper sail like a kite. Trying to play off the autograph and not get harassed for more, Link tried to slink away slowly and finally get his cucco. Fortunately, his efforts were not in vain and he was successful. He found a stump and sat on it, munching on the drumstick. Mmm, today's were lemon-peppered, his favorite!

Upon finishing his lunch, he called Epona and rode over to the valley. He greeted some of the women on the way in and took his liberties at the range, shooting at the various targets he found. He heard a noise behind him and immediately whirled around, still on Epona's back, aiming an arrow at the intruder, who turned out to be no one else than a younger guard, sent to collect the saddles some of the other women left behind. She stood still, and he released tension in the bowstring.

"You should be more careful. I thought you were supposed to be trained in stealth," Link said almost shouting, his emotions getting the better of him, revealing his annoyance.

The Gerudo simply glared at him, gathered the saddles, turned on her heel, and returned to the Fortress, probably for a much-needed lesson in stealth.

He spat on the footsteps she left in the sand.

***


He spat on the footsteps she left in the sand.

The sand started to turn into a thin mud from the rain, since the sky decided to open up. It was a pleasant day, so Lily thought she'd try her luck around the lake... she'd gotten the short end of the stick on that one. The lake cleared out and Lily found herself in the center of the mix, trying to duck for shelter. She bumped into a man with a menacing and overbearing face, whom she quickly tried to avoid. The spit hit the ground, but splattered up onto her calf.

Not thinking anything of it, since she was a dirty Sheikah, he continued on his way. She stopped dead in her tracks. That was it, she had it. She was done with dancing for money in the square, or anyplace else. She didn't like the treatment she was receiving. Figuring that no one was around and no one would see, she sneaked up to the man that spat and grabbed him around his neck. Suddenly, she found herself strangling this person. He couldn't breathe. He struggled to get her off of him. And then... they fell. Lily knew what she did, but didn't know that death could be like this... so... clean. Silent. And it felt great! One of those that set her life into ruins was now gone. Revenge... sweet revenge. She smiled to herself.

And it was then that Lily decided to seek revenge on the rest of the people that betrayed her, that set her out on the streets. No more Ms. Nice-Sheikah, who would try to conform and deal with the life she was thrown into. It was time for her to take back what she deserved... and perhaps more, if she felt like it. This was a project that was going to take time, she knew, but she wasn't about to be discouraged, either. She balled her fists, her eyes blood red with anger, and set out a path for shelter, to sit and wait and plot. As for him, well, the victim lay on the ground, lifeless.

***


As for him, well, the victim lay on the ground, lifeless.

Link had a horrible day with archery, and it was happening a lot more lately. His aim was very far off, and it was something he didn't appreciate very well. He lay on the floor, now, waiting to be called for dinner, fully dressed, but hesitant to eat, at the risk of more harassment from his fellow Knights -- again. Impa knocked on his door to let him know that it was time to come to eat, and that she had already found an escort for herself and the Princess. Once seated and served, Link noticed that Zelda was not her usual self. She was nervous or upset or... something. She ate quicker than usual, with the appetite of a rabid wolfos.

***


She ate quicker than usual, with the appetite of a rabid wolfos. It was lucky that she discovered some leftover meat in a garbage alley. Tomorrow, she thought, as she chewed. Tomorrow, I start my revenge on the world.


Enter the security code shown below:
 Sections
The "Post Your Own Work" section is powered by eFiction. To get it for your site, go to www.efiction.org.