A Day in the Life by Atchika
Summary: Sometimes I wonder what makes a character do what they do. This is my way of guessing. More or less random one shots. Odd bits of character studies I do from time to time, when I just cant think about the main fic anymore. Together they add up to a whole day.
Categories: Fan Fiction Characters: Link (WW)
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 4737 Read: 82467 Published: Sep 21, 2004 Updated: Sep 28, 2004

1. Morning by Atchika

2. Dawn by Atchika

3. Afternoon by Atchika

4. Later by Atchika

5. Twilight by Atchika

Morning by Atchika
"Hey! Come on you, this is the third time I've had to wake you up." she said as she gently pushed the small body. Wrapped up with only a small tuft of blond hair stuck out of its wooly shell, the hair shifted a little then settled back into its slumber. "You are never going to be ready in time." smiling she sighed. "My son the rock. Looks like more drastic measures are needed here." She looked over at her daughter who had been watched with great interest, she pointed back at the boy saying "Okay Sweets, you know what to do."

The little girl laughed and ran to the bed as quickly as her short legs would carry her. Grabbed ahold of the blanket and tugged at it until the sleeping body within was dragged unceremoniously to the floor. "Hoy!" she yelled as she leapt onto her half awake brother. She sat on his chest and bounced while pulling at his shirt. "Link! Link! Link!"

"Mom!" he whined as he lifted his head, "Get her off me!"

"Sorry," she said as she turned back to the kitchen, "you had your chance for a peaceful morning. Maybe next time you won't wait so long to get out of bed."

"Link! Link! Link!"

"Auugghhh!" he let his head drop back to the floor. "Jeez! Aryll I'm up already!"

"Be nice to your sister," his mother called back to him, "this is your own fault." He rolled his eyes. "I saw that." she said without turning around.

He looked back up at his sister she had stopped bouncing. Smiling she put two small hands on his face and said one last time "Link." she giggled as she vacated her perch her job here was done. He struggled to get untangled from his blankets, pulled out some clothes and got dressed. He yawned and walked over to the table just as his mother put a small plate of food in front of him. His sister was already enjoying her breakfast; abandoning her fork she picked up a tidbit with her fingers and wiggled it before putting it in her mouth. Watching her, he crinkled his nose at her and thought, "Ewwwww."

"And you think your manners were better at her age?" his mother said watching him from the other side of the table. "You'd better get a move on," she said between bites "We still have to wash that mop on your head."

"Wash your mop." Aryll chided.

Link just glowered at her. "Why did you have to teach her how to talk? She was a lot cuter when she was quieter."

"Somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed today," his mother said picking up some of the dishes. "Aryll, please use your fork."

"Okay." she said as she snatched up her utensil.

Link picked at his breakfast, he just wasn’t hungry and pushed his plate away and laid his head on the table. "Mom?"

"Hmmm?"

"When's Dad supposed to be back?"

"In a day or two."

"Oh," he said and banged his forehead back on the table. When his mother looked over and noticed he wasn't eating she said, "Link, why don’t you take your sister outside for a bit while I finish these dishes. Then we'll get to your hair okay?"

"Okay," he sat up, "come on Aryll."

"No."

"Aryll, gimme a break will ya?"

"No."

"Okay," he said as he started slowly for the door, "then I guess I'll have to look at the gulls all by myself today."

"Gulls! Gulls!" she shouted happily.

"Yeah right, gulls, gulls. Lets go."

As he opened the door and she shot past him, almost tumbling down the porch step in her excitement. "Hey! Slow down or your gonna fall!" She came back to him, grabbed his hand and pulled him toward the stairs. "Come on we'll go over here," he said pointing at the beach. As she was singing and chasing after the crabs, he walked through the shallows, keeping an eye on her to make sure she stayed out of the surf. It wasn’t long before his mother appeared.

"Link!"

"Yeah Mom, I'm coming." He stood in front of his sister to stop her. "Come on, Mom wants us," she looked at him but made no protest this time. She took his hand and they walked back over to the house.

He groaned, he wondered if he'd ever have a pain free hair-washing experience, "Link do you think you can do this on your own? I'm afraid your sister has made a mess of her clothes."

"Sure!" Yay! He thought, no more scrubbing!

"Alright here's the tub, the soap is in there along with a towel. Make sure you actually use the soap Link."

"Got it."

"I'll be back to check on you shortly," she said as she picked up Aryll and walked into the house.

Left alone on the porch steps, he wondered what he should do first. He ran over to spring and set down the tub, pulled off his shirt and dunked the tub in the warm water. He dumped it on his head. Drawing out some more he set that aside and picked up the soap. After a few minutes of scrubbing he knelt next to the tub and stuck his head in. With most of the soap out he dumped the remainder on some nearby flowers and dunked the tub again. While dumping it on his head his hand slipped and the tub came down with a thunk on his head. Irritated he threw it off and snatched up his towel and started to dry his hair. He looked up to see his mother watching him from the porch steps while she braided Aryll's hair. Leaving the towel on his head he snatched up his shirt and grabbed the tub and soap.

"Looks good." his mother said peeking under the towel. "Aryll play up on the porch alright?"

"Okay" she said with an exaggerated nod.

He watched her as she hopped up the steps. His mother turned back to him and smiled. "Come here," he stood in front of her. "Lets see if we can straighten this out," she said running a comb through his hair, "I think your due for another haircut."

"Can't I keep it long?"

"Why?"

"So I can have a pony tail like Dad has." he twisted himself around and smiled what he hoped was his charming best.

His mother smiled, "How can I resist such an adorable boy? Alright," she said laughing and turned him back around, "we'll wait for the back, but that front, I can barely see your face, that will have to be trimmed."

"Okay." he said bouncing a little with excitement.

"It's certainly long enough, and you'll be starting you lessons with Sturgeon and Orca soon. That might not be a bad idea." she finished the job and pulled him up into her lap and tickled him "but if your father says of it goes, no arguments right?"

"Right!"
Dawn by Atchika
Dawn

by: Atchika

She hated the rain, but the air was always thick and salty before it came and she loved the smell. Most everyone was still asleep and she'd snuck out of bed to watch the sunrise. As she crouched behind one of the barrels on deck she held her breath as the night watch came by her. Once past she hurried forward until she found herself at the base of the forbidden ladder; clutching her blanket, she looked up. She took a deep breath and crept carefully up. At the top she stuck her head cautiously into to nest and looked around and breathed a sigh of relief seeing that it was vacant except for a few seagulls. She threw her blanket into the space and climbed the rest of the way up. Just in time she thought and picked the blanket up and threw it around her shoulders. She watched the moon sink into the sea and looked up at the stars so bright in the darkest part of the night.

She turned to look east and though she was finally tall enough to see over the edge without standing on her toes, she did anyway. A brisk wind started up and she threw her arms wide to catch all the salty air she could. She startled the few gulls and they flew off squawking loudly. She giggled as she peered over the edge and watched them land on the deck below only to be chased off by the night watch. She rested her chin on the edge and smiled to herself as the first rays of sunshine peaked up over the horizon. As the dawn brighten the morning sky she closed her eyes, she must have dozed off for a minute because when she opened her eyes again the sun was a little further up in the sky. She was in for it now she thought. She had planned to be back in bed before now.

Looking out over the water she saw the little island and wondered why she didn't remember this one. She looked at it through her telescope, and figured out that there was not much to see. Some fishing boats, no people around that she could see. She looked from one house to another and her view finally settled on the last house on the beach. The door opened and a small girl ran to the steps almost losing her balance. She smiled and watched as the girl turned back and dragged a reluctant boy, probably her brother, out the door and down the steps. He pointed to the beach and his sister dutifully went where directed. Her attention was pulled away by the sounds of the crew below her. Morning shift was up and pretty soon they would be looking for her. Not that it ever took them long to figure out where she'd gone. Carefully looking down she spotted the Captain who happened to look up at the same moment. She ducked away form the edge, but knew it was probably too late. She'd been spotted and the sound of someone coming up the ladder confirmed it.

"Tetra could you please come down from there," said the familiar voice from below her, "I know you like the view little miss but your still too young to be up here alone."

She edged over to the ladder and said in a determined voice "But, there's a storm coming, I want to watch it."

"Not from here," the voice was getting closer "I'm afraid it's just a little too dangerous."

"I'm not scared." she muttered to herself

"Well, then it's a good thing you're not the captain and I am," and her Mother's head popped up through the small opening in the floor. "Honestly child one of these days your antics are going to land you in trouble."

"Please, can't I stay a little longer?"

"We really need to get underway. " She said as she pulled herself up. The Captain sighed when she noticed Tetra's forlorn expression. "Okay, just a few minutes."

"Yay!" she jumped a little.

"What were you looking at up here anyway?"

"I wanted to see the sun come up." Tetra covered her mouth too late, now she was in trouble sneaking out as well as being up here.

The Captain looked at her sternly, "So you thought you'd sneak out of your cabin in the middle of the night and climb to the one place on this ship you've been told you're not supposed to be by yourself?"

"Ummm.. "

"You know that's a punishable offense little miss."

"Yes."

"As future captain what punishment do you think is in order?"

"Galley duty?"

"For a week." Tetra groaned. She opened her mouth to voice a protest but stopped when the Captain raised and eyebrow and said, "Want to try for two?"

She shut her mouth and shook her head.

"Good."

After a moment of silence Tetra looked back at the little island. "Captain?" she asked pointing, "What's the name of that island over there?"

"Outset."

"How come we've never been here before?"

"We have, but you were much smaller then."

"Oh."

"Come on its time to go and eat breakfast, Nudge is making your favorite."

Her eyes lit up "Really?"

"Yes really."

Tetra stopped as a horrible thought came to her, "But then that means. "

"Yes," said the Captain nodding "Lots of sticky pots."

What's for breakfast? I have no idea and have no plans on finding out, so insert your favorite breakfast food here and any disclaimers you may find lying around.
Afternoon by Atchika
"Come on Aryll," Link said as he burst out the door. Lunch was done and he was in a hurry to get to Orca's "We're gonna be late!" hopping up on the rail Link turned to see his sister finally coming out the door. "Could you be any slower?"

She looked at him for a moment then walked calmly past. He turned to jump down and was greeted by Jasper and Jake two of her "friends", and caught by surprise he lost his balance and crashed down on to the porch. "Come on Link," turning back she said imitating his earlier tone, "Were gonna be late, can't you get off the porch without falling?" laughing she skipped away.

Link let his head fall back on the porch. "I'm gonna get you two for that." he said menacingly at the two gulls. The birds looked down at him from the rail, squawked and flew off. He sat up and heard the door open behind him, he look back and saw his Father standing with a small smile on his face.

"You all right?"

"Yeah."

"You know Link," he said helping him up, "that's the third time in less than two weeks she's caught you like that."

"Tell me something I don't know," he muttered to himself as he started to walk away. If his father heard him he made no comment.

"Have you been sleeping? It took forever to wake you up this morning."

Link stopped. He thought he hadn't disturbed anyone, but obviously he had. "Just a bad dream."

"Well if you want to talk it out I'm not due to ship out for another week." when Link made no reply he continued, "Well, you'd better get going."

Link didn't need any further prompting and bolted off the porch toward the old warriors house. He enjoyed his sessions with Orca, mostly because he didn't have to think. Practice was practice and thankfully it didn't leave his brain anytime to worry about stupid dreams. The harder he worked the less likely he was to dream of anything at night, so he pushed himself all the harder. He was finishing up his seventh round of Orca's prescribed routine when the old man called him to a halt.

"I think we'll call it a day Link, " seeing the boy's dejected expression he said, "Why are you pushing yourself so hard?"

"I just want to get the routine down."

"You've had the 'routine down' for over a week now."

"Can't I go through it one more time?"

"No."

Link knew that tone so did not protest further, he bowed to his teacher and walked slowly out on to the front porch. Aryll was waiting for him with Jake and Jasper. "I didn't think you were ever gonna come out of there."

"Why are you here?" he asked in a tone that was surlier than he meant to use. He sighed when she looked down at her shoes noticeably hurt.

"I'm sorry about earlier.. " She said frowning.

"It's alright, I shouldn't have shouted at you." he smiled and said, "You'd think I'd have learned by now, " he said pointing at her companions, " what happens when I threaten 'their' friend. Come on lets get home its almost dinner time."

She nodded then stopped, "Link?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I tell you something?

"Sure."

"Do you promise not to tell Mom and Dad?"

He turned around, "Well if its that bad, lets go to the rock." Sitting atop a large rock overlooking the bay, he wondered what she wanted to tell him. She was such a thoughtful kid. "So what's up kiddo?"

"It's about Dad," she said as she absently pet Jake's head, "I've been having these awful dreams lately."

He felt a moment of dread, "Yeah."

"Like something bad is gonna happen the next time he goes out to sea." she shivered, "I don't want him to go."

He didn't want to tell her he'd been having the same kinds of dreams for almost a month now. "What should I do?" she said looking over the bay, "I want to tell Mom, but I know she'll just tell me I'm being silly."

"I don't think your silly."

"You've been having them too?

He looked at her for a bit then nodded. She moved closer to him and he hugged her, "It'll be okay."

"You don't sound like you mean it."

"Yeah?" She only nodded and they sat in silence for a while until he said finally, "Come on, let's get home, I'm hungry."

She hopped off the rock, Jake and Jasper close behind. He watched her as she disappeared around the bend of the path; he looked back out over the water. It'll be okay, he thought then got up and ran after her.

No really this stuff just get all stuck in my head. I think I need a vacation - Atchika
Later by Atchika
Tetra sat as her legs dangled from the rail as she watched the workers on the docks. As they loaded supplies on the ship she spotted a boy who sat dejected atop some crates. He looked very upset about something, in fact she was sure he was crying, "What a baby," she said. A familiar shadow made her look up. She scrambled to her feet and schooled her features and said with a slight bow, "Hoy Captain."

"Well Miss, once again I find you shirking."

"No Captain."

"No?"

"No Captain, I finished in the galley, and Nudge told me I was free for the rest of the afternoon until dinner of course."

"Of course," the Captain gave her a calculating look and said, "Very well then, carry on. But after you finish with your dinner duties I expect you to finish your lessons before you bed down."

"Yes Ma'am," Tetra turned to leave but stopped when the Captain said, "One other thing," she sighed and turned back around. "We will be having some special guests with us for dinner tonight, dress will be formal and," leaning toward her she said, "I expect you to be on you very best behavior Miss."

"Yes Captain." she didn't move this time.

"You're free to go."

Of course she knew she wasn't so stayed put with her eyes straight ahead until the Captain had gone below and sat back down. She scanned the dock for the boy but he was nowhere to be seen."Crap." With nothing new to look at she got up and wandered over to the bow and sat up on the thick railing. She watched the water and groaned, special guests? Best behavior? Formal dress? Of course it would only last until after dinner, cause there was no way she was scrubbing pots in a dress. In the galley nobody cared if you swore, or got messy and that was just the way she liked it. She had spent so much time with Nudge lately she felt like he was that older sister she never had. He always listened to her complaints without telling her the Captain was always right.

She still had a few hours to kill so went below and opened her lesson. Blech, she thought more Hylian language lessons. What was the point of learning that dead language anyway? Nobody she knew of spoke it or even remembered it for that matter. Well at least the pictures were interesting this time. Translation was so boring.

Long ago, it was said that there was a country chosen by the god's flour… "God's flour?" she laughed, "That can't be right, she studied it for a minute. Ah, she thought "God's Power." ….

The people who lived in this blessed rich land were called the Hylians, and were said to be able to hear the voices of the gods….

"Yes, to better make bread," she intoned, "with the God's Flour." and giggled…..

They, together with the people of the plains, the people of the mountains, the Gorons, the people of the water the, Zora,…

"Water people? No way." ….

The people of the desert, the Gerudo, and the people of the forest, the Kokiri, all carried out unique lives…

She yawned and stretched as she leaned back in her chair. This was taking forever, bleh. Only one line left to go….

Even in this rich land, the footsteps of destruction began to creep in….

She wondered where this land of Hylians could be for she had never been anywhere that had vast plains, and what could have happened to all the others? And why was she being forced to care!!! Zora, Goron, Gerudo and Kokiri, that seemed like a lot of peoples to misplace. Her mother had never once mentioned any of these names to her before. She leaned back and tipped the chair on its two back legs and wondered. She was still lost in her imaginings when her cabin door opened and her mother came in.

"Tetra!" Startled she lost her balance and toppled over and bumped her head on to the floor, "Oh my," her mother said and came over to help her up. "I am sorry I startled you, but if you don't get a move on you're going to be late for dinner."

"Ow, ow, ow," she said as she rubbed her head. She looked up at her and was astounded, "Wow! Captain, you clean up nice."

"Very funny Little Miss," she said as she helped her up, "but I think its time you started getting ready for this evening."

Tetra rolled her eyes, "Do I have to? Cant I just skip it?"

"No, you cant," she said as she pulled out one of the few dresses Tetra owned, "It's time to get ready."

"For what?" she said as she started changing, "Who are these people anyway?"

"Friends of the family."

"Whose family?"

"Ours."

"Fine, but why do I have to meet them."

"You know if this conversation keeps going like this, you'll find yourself knee deep in the laundry."

"Alright," she said sullenly.

"I'll be back in a few minutes to help you with your hair."

"What's wrong with my hair?"

Her mother smiled and walked out of the room. Tetra lifted the dress off her bed and put it on. It was itchy. When she heard the door open again, she figured it was her mother back to torment her with that damn brush. So when she turned to see a boy in her doorway she immediately threw the first thing within reach.

"WAIT!"

Too late… the still open inkwell bonked him on the head, he fell over and it bounced on to the floor. That kid looked familiar and she realized it was the same boy she'd seen earlier on the dock, "Crap, now I'm in for it," she muttered she rushed over to him and helped him up "Are you alright?"

"Uh, yeah," he shook his head, "Wow, you really tossed that thing."

"Thanks,: she said with a grin which immediately turned sour whe she remembered why she threw it start with, "Who the hell are you anyway?" she said as she dabbed some of the ink that ran down his forehead, "Don't you know how to knock?!"

"His name is Gonzo, he is the son of good friend of mine," she heard her mothers voice say. Turning toward the sound she groaned inwardly when she noticed there was another person with the Captain, "and he'll be sailing with us from now on."

"Great." she said, as she stood and smiled at him weakly. She looked back at her mother and said, "This isn't as bad as it looks."

The Captain only sighed while the other laughed so hard he had tears in his eyes. "Thank the Goddesses," he said between fits, "you never gave her any knives… "
Twilight by Atchika
Twilight

by Atchika

She had told him there had been a fountain in the forest once, a place were the fairies danced over shimmering water but she had also told him that it no longer existed. He had awoken early every day for weeks and went to there in the hopes of catching one. She had told him that they could heal any illness, any hurt. It didn’t matter that not one had been seen for well over a hundred years, he was determined to find one. He sat still atop a large rock and looked around, thoughts of happier times crept in, like when she had brought them here for picnics. Most of the islanders were afraid to come here, the trees always kept it dark and the fireflies were always out. She was never afraid here, the others, she said, thought it too eerie but that was because there were so many fireflies it made it look scarier than it really was. He could remember following them, chasing them, catching them in bottles. Her smile whenever he showed her his prize.

The sun was going down and it was going to be dark to see the path soon, he should go or she would worry. He didn’t want her to worry. He still hadn't found his fairy though. He hopped off the rock and headed back toward his home. Only one lamp was lit and he kept his eye on it as he crossed the bridge. He looked at the watchtower, his sister was still there looking out over the water. He walked down the dock to the ladder, and began the long climb. "Hoy short round," he said quietly, "lets get home." She looked at him and he could tell she had been crying. It was getting closer now they could both feel it. He climbed the rest of the way up, she ran to him but she wasn’t crying anymore. He gave her an extra long hug and they made their way down the ladder.

Looking at his front porch he remembered how it began. Things started to slow down and at first she would sit on the porch for hours looking out at the sea. The gulls would sometimes come to keep her company. They would hop about with his sister chasing after, she'd laugh when they squawked at her. They would sit and watch with her all day and sometimes she would play with them. Now, she could no longer leave her bed and she fretted at no longer being able to take care of them as she should. That's when Grandma came to live with them. Whenever they asked when Dad would be back, she would always say "Soon, soon." Coming in that day she greeted them with that smile. Grandma collected them and fed them dinner, nobody ate much though and they got ready for bed. He went to her and laid his head in her lap while his sister climbed up near her feet. She gently stroked his hair and he fell asleep.

He awoke in his bed the next morning to the sounds of gentle crying. Looking over he saw his Father holding her. She looked like she was sleeping, but he knew better. He was too late, he had not found his fairy in time.
This story archived at http://www.kasuto.net/efiction/viewstory.php?sid=808